08 January 2015

resolve: verb

1 : obsolete :  dissolve, melt
the frozen feeling that stays me, the resistance that is not resistance but is fear and not a reference to a Disney movie and not a reference to the weather although it could be and I want that too.
2a : break up, separate ; also :  to change by disintegration
that which I do not want, which is calcification: I will be vinegar when I must, and scour.
2b :  to reduce by analysis
I observe. I assess. I proceed.
2c :  to distinguish between or make independently visible adjacent parts of
myself: I do not need to be all things to all people. I do contain multitudes, but let me know which and when and splay us out like cards from which I choose my own hand or slide us all together, neat edges all decked and whole.
2d :  to separate (a racemic compound or mixture) into the two components
alchemy in reverse: is separation an act of creation?
3 :  to cause resolution of (a pathological state)
This I don't fully understand. I am a novelist. I can lie. I understand. This is resolved.
4a :  to deal with successfully :  clear up
I teach communication in varying ways. I should learn from me, who is more often definition 3 than 4a, which is, at best, B+ work.
4b :  to find an answer to
I tell my students to ask and ask and ask. I am good at the finding, which is far, far easier than the asking.
4c :  to make clear or understandable
myself, to myself
4d :  to find a mathematical solution of
hours and pages and how many more because I want to do more and 1 was the first thing on the list so check it off and solve for x because you knew once how to do that, how to calculate your own algebra and doubt was not a factor then.
4e :  to split up (as a vector) into two or more components especially in assigned directions
can be achieved through trigonometry. draw boxes. know what goes in each. hold only one at a time, except when it is better to hold two or three or stack them into a ziggurat because the edges are square where you've drawn them to be. the angles are true. they don't have to remain two-dimensional or separate because this is only a metaphor and you only need this reminder sometimes.
5 :  to reach a firm decision about
caffeine / running / why I keep trying to like broccoli / what happens at the end 
6 :  to declare or decide by a formal resolution and vote
that I'll make metaphors that will hold water, even inverted, that are as solid as the seams of a freshly careened ship, and it's gotten away on me again
7 :  to make progress from dissonance to consonance
in all aspects
8 :  to work out the resolution of (as a play)
for play is the thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment